Thursday, November 3, 2011

Oh, Baby!

As I mentioned, I began training to be a Doula! This really is one of my most favorite things...EVER. I am training through DONA International and I am seeing the end! First, you have a reading list and a position paper to read, which for me, was total fun and very informative. While doing this you can become a member of DONA and order your certification packet. Then you have to take a Doula workshop, Childbirth class and a breastfeeding class that satisfies the time requirements! You have to attend three births, take notes and write a paper on each. After that, you can send in your packet and get approved!! Sounds pretty easy, right?

I am doing my Doula workshop this Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I can NOT wait! I signed up for my childbirth class that starts on Thursday the 10th. I am taking the Bradley method, which I wanted to take when I became pregnant, but I get it free as an observer!! :) I started my Breastfeeding Basics class which is online and I have finished most of my reading! I also have three births in the next six months!! I can totally do this.

The books I have read are beyond helpful. I have attended and studied the birth process for years, but I love that I learn something new EVERY TIME! My books I have been reading are:

I can not wait to go even further with my education! First is a birth doula, then postpartum doula, then lactation consultant! I want to get certified as a Childbirth Educator, Breastfeeding Educator, Herbs for Birth Care Professionals, Nutrition for Doula Practice, Aromatherapy Certification for Doulas and Advanced Women's Health Herbal and Aromatherapy through Birth Arts International. I would be totally into placenta encapsulation as well, but one step at a time!

1 comment:

  1. Another good book is The Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth. It was one of my favorite books that I read while pregnant with my second (who I birthed vaginally, w/o pain beds, w/pitocin!)

    -Sarah (I just found your blog browswing around from breastfeeding mamas :) )

    ReplyDelete